Today, one of the most effective ways to cure migraine, a severe headache illness, is by using instant migraine relief medications. Today, there are many different options that you can rely on to cure this type of illness. Unfortunately, only a few of them, such as Imigran and Sumatriptan, are reliable and very effective.
Sumatriptan is the generic version of Imigran, which happens to be a branded migraine medication. This drug is exclusively available by prescription for patients looking for migraine help.
As effective as Sumatriptan is, it also has its side effects, especially if you use overdose. This explains why you should get familiar with this drug before you start using it for migraine treatment at home. As you read further, you’ll have a better understanding of this migraine medication, including its benefits.
Warning symptoms and adverse effects of using Sumatriptan
As earlier mentioned, Sumatriptan is very effective but it’s not without its issues. Yes, you may face a few adverse effects after using this drug. However, these effects don’t also show up for all patients.
Below are a few adverse effects attached to using Sumatriptan migraine tablets:
- Breathing difficulties
- Feeling hot or hot
- Hot flushes
- Tingling or prickling sensation in the patient’s skin
- Pain & weakness
- Pressure in the neck, jaw, chest, or throat part
- Nauseous or vomiting
- Drowsiness & dizziness
- Temporary increase in the blood pressure level
Chest pains are common symptoms of using Sumatriptan. In most cases, this severe symptom will disappear rapidly. But if the symptom persists after a long period, ensure to see your medical adviser.
The symptoms listed above are the basic symptoms of using Sumatriptan. You need to understand that this migraine medication may also attract some serious adverse effects, such as the ones listed below:
- Chest discomfort, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, dizziness, weakness, profuse perspiration, shoulder pain, rapid heart rate, and heart palpitations, are all indications of cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack.
- Chest disorders are caused by pressure, tightness, heaviness, or pain in the chest or neck.
- Serotonin syndrome: the common causes of this serious adverse effect of Sumatriptan include agitation, restlessness, heavy sweating, dilated pupils, twitching muscles, confusion, vomiting, hallucinations, nausea, rapid heart rate, and shaking.
- You may also experience digestive issues due to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pain in the stomach area, and diarrhea.
- Stroke or brain hemorrhage: symptoms include headache, drooping face, numbness, speaking difficulties, balance issues, and general weakness on one side of the body.
- Mental illness, due to anxiety, confusion, hallucinations, suicide, and many more.
The above serious adverse effects are very rare. However, once you start experiencing any of them, you should contact your doctor immediately.
What is the maximum dose of sumatriptan?
In case you don’t know, Sumatriptan is a migraine medication (tablet form) that’s available in two types; 100 mg and 50 mg (standard & recommended). According to experts, the maximum dose is 300 mg every 24 hours.
What does this mean?
- If you’re sticking to Sumatriptan (100 mg), then you need to keep in mind that you can only take three tablets of this migraine medication in 24 hours.
- As for Sumatriptan (50 mg), it’s only advisable that you stick to at most 6 tablets every 24 hours.
Overdose of Sumatriptan (100 mg and 50 mg) can cause more harm. This doesn’t even mean you’ll achieve more results. You can shop online for any of these Sumatriptan migraine tablet products at Ashcroft Pharmacy.
Should you consume alcohol when using Sumatriptan?
Let’s face it; it’s not advisable to consume alcohol when you’re looking for a cure for your migraine. However, if you must take alcohol, ensure to limit it, as this substance may worsen the illness.
The bottom line is that alcohol isn’t advisable when experiencing migraine. However, it’s worth noting that alcohol will never affect the efficacy of Sumatriptan.
Is Sumatriptan advisable during pregnancy?
Currently, there’s no sufficient data or research to identify whether or not Sumatriptan is ideal for pregnant or nursing women. Before going ahead to use this drug, you can consider learning more about how to use Sumatriptan during pregnancy.
Can you drive or operate heavy machinery after taking this drug?
You should avoid driving or operating any heavy machinery after taking this migraine medication. That’s so because of the side effects attached to using this drug, such as drowsiness and dizziness.
Interactions with other medications
You need to understand that Sumatriptan can interact with many medications. Other drugs you can use with Sumatriptan include painkillers, such as Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, and Aspirin. You can also try anti-nausea and anti-emetic drugs.
Avoid using Sumatriptan with contraceptive pills, antibiotics, ergotamine-containing drugs, and MAO inhibitors. Furthermore, it’s not advisable to use other triptan products when using Sumatriptan migraine tablets.
Is Sumatriptan suitable for use with existing health issues?
Sumatriptan is suitable for use with many other health issues apart from migraine. Before you go ahead to use this migraine medication, be sure to check with your doctor if you have other serious health conditions.
Is Sumatriptan addictive?
The good news is that Sumatriptan is not addictive. However, it’s not advisable to use this product every day as it may worsen your migraine headache.
Are you currently experiencing severe headaches and are looking for migraine pain relief medication? If yes, Sumatriptan is one of the most effective, instant migraine relief drugs you can rely on for home use. With this blog, you shouldn’t have any issue using this product as a cure for migraine.